As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health has both the stability that comes with success and the values you can be proud to represent. With facilities across the West, there is something for every leader, from a busy urban medical center to a friendly small-town hospital.
Banner Estrella Medical Center is an American Nurses Credentialing Center Magnet Recognized 317 bed facility in Southwest Phoenix. The 73 bed Emergency Department (ED) provides care to pediatric and adult patients. With a focus on patient experience, we are committed to providing safe and compassionate care to our patients. The annual volume of the ED is nearly 100,000 visits and is also a Level 4 Trauma Center. Banner Estrella maintains NIHSS Stroke Gold Elite Plus, Chest Pain and Pediatric Preparedness accreditations. The high-functioning multidisciplinary ED team works together cohesively to provide timely and high quality care to our patients.
The preferred knowledge and responsibilities of the RN Trauma Service Coordinator may include but not limited to having familiarity with regulatory requirements in accordance with differentiation of Trauma Center designations. Experience with Preparation for designation and site visit. Familiarity with networking with other specialties (internal and external) to provide trauma education to team and real-time identification of opportunities with resolution. Participates in patient identification for trauma registry inclusion and contributes to accurate data collection. Knowledge of trauma coding preferred. Experience with assessment of patient care in accordance to accepted standards as part of the PIPS process. Required to review and audit all transferred patients in an approach to uphold a culture of safety. Responsible for conducting trauma committee meetings for the facility. Required active participation on Banner system and state regulatory meetings. Flexibility with schedule mandatory to support needs of program and real-time education. This is a part time fully benefited 20 hour a week position!
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefits to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Banner Estrella Medical Center is a 305-bed acute care hospital providing a full range of health care services to the fast growing communities of west Phoenix. Opened in 2005, this is an innovative, fully electronic facility that features electronic medical records, computerized physician order entry, digital radiography, sophisticated ICU monitoring and much more. In fact, we've been named one of the "ten most innovative hospitals in the country" by Newsweek Magazine and are recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of Phoenix's Best Hospitals. The hospital is also designed to provide a soothing, healing atmosphere for both patients and their family members. We encourage the use of such therapies as pet therapy, aromatherapy, spiritual care and Reiki Therapy.
POSITION SUMMARY This position promotes optimal care of the trauma patient within the guidelines set forth by the state of practice and the American College of Surgeons (ACS) through clinical program, administrative functions and public education. Enhances the trauma program through activities with Emergency Medical Services, referral facilities and in-house staff.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Performs professional activities to maintain competency in trauma patient care and provides education opportunities and orientation to trauma, nursing and ancillary staff. Demonstrates clinical competency as a member of the trauma team during trauma team activations or disaster situations as needed.
2. Collects data to maintain the trauma registry with accurate and valid data. Performs accurate ICD-9 and AIS/ISS coding of trauma patient injuries, procedures and mechanisms of injury. May perform e-coding, validation of data entry and timely export to the state according to the standards required.
3. Evaluates trauma patient care and care guidelines through concurrent monitoring. Assists in identification of systems and patient quality improvement issues and potential solutions. Attends trauma rounds
4. Assists with informational needs of referral facilities and in-house staff, including education programs, patient follow-up and injury prevention programs as directed.
5. Provides effective communication between staff, physicians, referral facilities and emergency medical services.
6. Participates in the preparation for site survey and maintenance of state and ACS trauma standards of care.
7. May be responsible for meeting Joint Commission requirements for Emergency Management. May be responsible for representing facility at community or regulatory activities related to trauma, injury prevention and emergency preparedness.
8. Applies to the facilities in Nebraska: The Trauma Coordinator is a registered nurse or Mid-Level Practitioner who works in collaboration with the trauma medical director; organizes the trauma service and system; has day to day responsibility for process and performance improvement activities for nursing and ancillary staff and assists the trauma medical director with physicians (not at basic levels); coordinates educational, clinical, research, administrative and outreach activities of the trauma program; and is responsible for the trauma registry data abstraction and submission to the regional trauma registry.
9. Relates to both external (patients, community members, physicians, other healthcare professionals) internal (nurses, ancillary staff, physicians) customers as it relates to injury prevention, trauma services and service referrals. Able to prioritize tasks in ever-changing environment. Prioritize tasks in a fast pace changing environment.
Current RN Licensure in state of practice.
At least three years recent clinical experience in an acute care, emergency or aero-medical setting. One year of injury prevention OR trauma registry experience. Able to use standard office software (spreadsheets, presentations, word processing). Good interpersonal relations skills.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS BSN or MSN preferred. TNCC-I, ACLS, PALS-I or ENCP-I preferred. Experience with AIS/ISS and ICD-9 coding preferred. Trauma and/or Burn Registry data abstraction preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.